M. Nathan Barbera
Nathan has over twenty years as a civil litigation attorney representing insurance companies, policy holders, restaurants, corporations, employers and various business entities. Nathan has vast jury trial experience in the courtroom handling negligence and personal injury claims, first-party insurance claims, products liability claims, Deceptive Trade Practices claims, employment claims, and commercial litigation matters.
Nathan has over twenty experience as an insurance defense attorney working for and on behalf of many large and small insurance companies. Nathan is the former Managing Attorney for the state of Texas for one of the largest privately held property and casualty insurance companies in the United States.
Nathan endeavors to provide each individual client the necessary information it requires to make cost efficient litigation strategy decisions, and strives to successfully implement each individual client’s strategy throughout the litigation process.
Third Party Liability Claims:
Nathan has extensive experience in successfully defending a variety of third-party claims, including cases involving wrongful death, personal injury, automobile accidents, and commercial transportation accidents. Nathan is highly qualified and well versed in the defense of bodily injury claims and works with clients to provide high quality, cost efficient, litigation services.
Premises Liability Claims:
Nathan has extensive successful experience in defending property owners and property management companies against claims of negligence and is well versed in the nuances of the claims procedure and protecting clients from frivolous and fraudulent lawsuits.
Products Liability Claims:
Nathan has successful experience in defending manufacturers, marketers, and suppliers of products and components from claims that the product or component was defective in either design, manufacturing, or marketing. Nathan also has successful experience defending restaurants and food manufacturers.
Nathan has successful experience and in defending and prosecuting various type of commercial disputes and lawsuits. Nathan successfully advocates the interests of his clients and counsels them in a variety of commercial disputes including breach of contract, non-compete enforcement, landlord-tenant, and collection matters.
Nathan was born and raised in Texas, graduating from Plano Senior High School. Nathan then attended the University of Mississippi where he majored in Legal Systems Administration and earned a Bachelor of Public Administration in 1994. Nathan then received his Juris Doctorate from St. Mary’s School of Law in 1998. Soon thereafter Nathan returned to the Dallas area and began his legal career.
Nathan is a lifelong resident of Plano, Texas, where he currently resides with his wife Alisha and their son, Palmer. Nathan has a long history of community involvement with the City of Plano, the Plano Independent School District, as well as various Collin County non-profit and philanthropic organizations. In his spare time Nathan enjoys playing tennis and golf, listening to live music and serving as a chauffer to his son to all his baseball, football, soccer, and basketball games and practices.
Areas of Practice
- Insurance Defense
- Automotive Liability
- Premises Liability
- Products Liability
- Hospitality & Retail Liability
- Civil Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Deceptive Trade Practices Act
- State Bar of Texas, 1998
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas, 1999
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas, 1999
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 2003
- St. Mary’s University School of Law, San Antonio, Texas, J.D. 1998
- University of Mississippi, Oxford, Mississippi, B.P.A. 1994
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Bar Foundation
- Dallas Bar Association
- Chairman, City of Plano Planning & Zoning Commission
- Member, Plano Rotary Club
- Past Member, Collin County Parks Foundation
- Past Member, Plano Chamber of Commerce
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Plano Rotary Club
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Plano Independent School District Alumni Association
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Plano Chamber of Commerce B.U.G.P.A.C.
- Past Member, City of Plano Parks and Recreation Planning Board
- Past Member, Advisory Board of Directors, Junior League of Plano
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Collin Intervention To Youth, Inc. (“CITY House”)
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Assistance Center of Collin County
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Plano Youth Leadership
- Member, Plano Independent School District, Academy Visioning Committee, 2010
- Member, Plano Independent School District, Blue Ribbon Boundary Committee, 2002
- Member, Plano Independent School District, Bond Task Force, 2004 and 2008